An economic and property market overview of UK retail for H2 2018, including the high street, retail park, shopping centre, supermarket, food and beverage, and retail logistics sectors.
- UK High Streets struggled in 2018 as store closures and falling aptitude for investment negatively impacted rents and yields.
- Shopping Centres and Retail Parks saw a continued polarisation of assets with prime centres – focussed on providing a destination appeal or convenient location – performing ahead of the wider market.
- The Food & Beverage industry experienced substantial changes in 2018 with CVAs, shifting consumer preferences, and the importance of brand image some of the key trends this year.
- The Logistics sector had its strongest ever year in 2018, driven by growth in online retail space requirements.
- Our first special feature is on Outlet Centres which have continued to outperform the wider market, benefitting from factors such as flexible leases and strong landlord controls.
- The Christmas Trading special feature looks at who came out on top in the festive quarter and who to look out for in 2019.